Veritable Aviation

Veritable Aviation Blog

Modern aircraft engines are powerful apparatuses, capable of keeping massive vehicles airborne through the combustion of fuel-and-air mixtures. Without the power produced by engine assemblies, aircraft would not be able to generate the thrust necessary for forward movement, eventually leading them to lose altitude as aerodynamic forces change. As such, it begs an important question: what happens when an aircraft loses functionality of its engine during flight?

Planetary gearboxes are special motion control tools typically used by vehicles as an essential piece of automatic transmission equipment. Specifically, planetary gearboxes are a form of gearbox where the input and output have the same center of turning. This formation has several gears spinning in one direction and “orbiting” an interior gear, giving planetary gearboxes their name. This blog provides a short overview of planetary gearboxes, so that way you can best make an informed decision when considering multiple components for your assembly.

In a perfect world, all the chemical energy stored in fuel would be converted into engine thrust during the combustion process, so that the engine is 100% efficient. Unfortunately, this is not the case. For example, a typical internal combustion engine is only about 25%-35% efficient, meaning that the remaining 65%-75% of the total energy released through combustion is utilized to operate the engine or dissipates as heat. In fact, a majority of the energy stored in fuel is used to overcome engine friction or converted into heat and noise as by-products of combustion. Since a big fraction of the total energy is converted into heat, it is clear that having an efficient cooling system in place is paramount for keeping the engine in working condition. 

While there are a number of engine types that cater to a diverse set of industries, the most popular type in use today is the reciprocating aircraft engine. Often called a piston engine, reciprocating engines are one of two types of combustion engines that work by combusting fuel to produce energy. Surpassing its predecessor, the rotary engine, which has four separate compartments that perform intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust, reciprocating engines carry out each task within a single cylinder.

Recent Twitter Posts

Semiconductor's Certifications and Memberships
Thank You for Visiting!

Don’t forget That We Can Respond to Your Instant RFQ Within Fifteen Minutes. Simply Fill Out the Fields On This Website’S Front Page and Click “Request for Quote” and Our Account Managers Will Answer ASAP!

Request for Quote

We use cookies to ensure that we give you an amazing browsing experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.